If you are not taking steps to maintain good oral health, you increase your risk of developing bad breath and gum disease. Bad breath may be a result of poor dental hygiene. The medical name for bad breath is halitosis, and you will need to work with Dr. Trujillo to restore your oral health. Some of the causes of bad breath include:
• Food choices
- Eating foods with very strong odors can cause bad breath. You can brush and floss after treatment, or use mouthwash regularly to mask the odor temporarily.
• Poor oral hygiene
- Bacterial growth between the teeth can cause bad breath. Using a tongue scraper will help to keep your tongue free of bad breath and you can also use an antibacterial mouth rinse on a regular basis.
• Lifestyle habits
- If you use tobacco products regularly, you may increase the risk of developing bad breath.
• Bad breath from gum disease
- Persistent bad breath is one of the warning signs of gum disease.
Other Causes of Bad Breath
Other causes of bad breath include:
• Yeast infections
• Dental appliances that do not fit properly
• Dry mouth
• Certain illnesses and diseases
You can help prevent halitosis by coming in for your teeth cleanings on schedule, refraining from tobacco product use, and maintaining a food log of foods that may have strong odors. If you are concerned about bad breath, schedule your consultation
with Dr. Trujillo in Merced, CA today!